Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The saga of the leak in the bathroom: Day 4

At this point, I've decided that I'm better off safe than sorry in this case and had better open up all of the walls in order to inspect for any other potential leaks or problems. This brings me to a question every diehard DIYer loves to ask: "what is the best way to demolish walls that are covered with ceramic tile/plaster/drywall?" Are you thinking what I was thinking? Chainsaw.

As you can see from the picture, the chainsaw make quick work of the wall coverings, but an unforseen problem arose. The fart fan in this bathroom does not work (Note to self: Make that high priority once leak problem is solved) thus creating a cloud of exhaust that was stifling to work in (you can see the exhaust filled haze in the photo). Thus, I had to stop working before I was able to get to the ceiling. I'll get that on another day.
On a side note today: Mary was a little shocked when she first took a look at the bathroom in it's current state. Apparently, to her, fixing the leaky faucet constitutes a 'minor' issue and should not have required tearing into any walls...I guess she just does not understand the nature and practice of a good, solid and thourough DIY plan. She backed off a little after I explained that "Good enough for who it's for" is fine when working one someone else's problems, but this is OUR house, and I want to make sure that I have done a thourough and complete job in soving this 'minor' issue.
In case any of you are wondering, here are the main points of said plan:
1. Pick a problem to solve
2. Pick the power tool(s) required. A few quick notes here: first, remember, a good sledge hammer can count as a power tool. Second, what power tools get picked should be based on the following 3 criteria: immediate proximity to your person, size of power tool, decibel level of power tool when in operation.
3. Use said power tools.
4. See if the problem is corrected.
5. If not, go back to step 2 and repeat.
6. If you run through the loop 3 times, just pick a new problem, you can always come back to this one after you have purchased new tools.

No comments: